Monday, March 1, 2010

6/30/09

Watching the extensive news coverage about Michael Jackson this past week, I was struck by the loneliness at the core of Michael's life despite all the fans and all the handlers and assistants that surrounded him. Of course, a number of people made references and comparisons to Elvis’ passing.

All this has stirred within me so many memories from my years with Elvis, and some of our conversations about his life and what he was experiencing. Elvis loved his life and the position he was in. With his playful sense of humor he would smile, "You know they say it's lonely at the top - but I'll tell you what....I love that lonesome feeling."

Yet deep down Elvis experienced an existential longing that couldn't be filled by millions of fans, close friends, fame nor fortune. One night in Las Vegas during the last year of his life he said to me,” Lawrence, you know I have feelings flowing through my veins just like everyone else. I'm human. I'd love to get married again and have more children. Don't you think that I'd love to find my soul mate?" His voice and the look on his face reflected a heart full of sadness and passion. "I want you to put yourself in my shoes, and think about this. How could I ever know for sure if a woman is in love with me - or Elvis Presley? How could I really know for sure?"

"Elvis as far as I'm concerned you've only had one, real lasting love affair.."

He looked puzzled. "Who is that Lawrence?"

"Your fans, Elvis, the public; that's been the great, lasting love affair of your life."

A smile slowly stole over his face. “You're right, you're right; and I've paid a heavy price for it. More than anyone knows…but I wouldn't change it for the world."

2 comments:

  1. Every soul will, eventually, find its unity within the love of that one soul mate. Two making one. And may I say, this is seldom to actually happen in this earthly plane of existence but it's sure to reach us by the time we're ready, even if that means after this life has passed.
    God created men so they would always be as two, together, seen and unseen. C.D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elvis' life, and death, was a lesson to the World.
    Elvis had a unique gift that was also a "curse" and that was that he (literally) FELT (i.e. cared about, loved, etc.) the pain/suffering of strangers/others. It consumed him and the weight of these feelings/knowledge was acted upon in many ways and when those in which he knew (and/or worked with) "slighted him" in any way he took it very "personal".
    Elvis needed balance in his life and his pursuits of answers about God and life were enriched by his relationship with Larry Geller.
    At 42 Elvis' heart gave out but up until the very second it stopped he cared about his child, his friends, his loved ones, his fans, and mankind. Heaven has a special place for people like Elvis and may he find eternal peace with Gladys, Vernon, Dodger, Jesse, Charlie Hodge, etc.
    Take care and God bless you Larry Geller.
    Jeffrey Schrembs, Elvis Presley Collector

    ReplyDelete