Monday, March 1, 2010

6/21/09

Really thinking about my dad today. I miss him more now than ever; he passed away in 1994. I'll never forget how he and Elvis would talk on the set of Frankie & Johnny. We were filming at night at Samuel Goldwyn studios and my dad loved to come around and watch. He enjoyed having something in common with Elvis; in the late 1920's and early thirties my dad was a musician. He played harmonica and toured the country with his group The Ragamuffins in vaudeville. Later he was asked to join the biggest harmonica group in the country, The Harmonicats. My dad had some great stories about that time, and some juicy stories of some of the stars of that era. So for several nights between scenes they would stand there in lively conversation. I have to laugh because my dad said to me, "Boy, Elvis sure asks a lot of questions - does he do that with you as well?"

I have one more thought this Father's Day. Elvis loved being a father; Lisa Marie was the joy of his life. Towards the end of his life he spoke many times about how much he wanted to have another child, especially a son.

No comments:

Post a Comment